IPL 2020 : Karnataka Government writes a letter to central government to Cancel IPL 2020; they are not ready to host matches in Bengaluru
Petition in Madras HC against IPL T-20 League due to coronavirus outbreak in India. A Bengaluru resident with a travel history for the United States was tested positive for the novel coronavirus on Monday. The petitioner of the case said that he had sent representation to the authorities for not allowing the BCCI to host IPL 2020 cricket matches in Bengaluru.
The 13th season of the Indian Premier League (IPL) is less than two weeks to come. Mumbai Indians (MI) and Chennai Super Kings (CSK) are scheduled to play the opening game of the season on 29 March. But the corona virus proceedings are now likely to be hampered as the Karnataka government has refused to host the IPL in Bengaluru.
According to the Minister of Medical Education of Karnataka Sudhakar, on Monday, a Bangalore resident with a history for the USA was tested positive for the coronavirus. Reportedly, the same resident, who has been identified as a technical expert, has come in contact with 2,666 people since returning from the US. While the person at Bangalore’s Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Chest Disease (RGICD) has been separated, all primary schools in Bangalore along with IT companies have been closed until further notice.
BCCI President Sourav Ganguly has recently said that the tournament will proceed as planned, no change in the schedule. At that time, BCCI sources also tell that they are monitoring all the IPL matches.
No IPL 2020 matches in Bengaluru?
The reports of local news channel are said, the Karnataka government has written a letter to the central government for requesting the suspension of the IPL this year’s due to coronovirus threat. The report further states that the Karnataka government has also refused to host IPL matches in karnataka.
Bengaluru is home town of Virat Kohli led franchise Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) as the Chinnaswamy Stadium hosts all its matches. Earlier, Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope had expressed concern over the outbreak of coronavirus and felt that the IPL could be organized later.
There is always a potential risk of spreading (infectious diseases), when a large number of people gather at one place… Such (IPL) events can always be organized later, “Tope said earlier. The Karnataka government too Now refusing to host the matches, it remains to be seen what the BCCI’s stance will be. As of now, things are not looking good for the upcoming season of the IPL.
No decision taken by BCCI on postponement of IPL league due to coronavirus
No decision taken by BCCI to cancel the IPL matches, they monitoring situation, source says. Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope has suggested to postponement of the IPL league in view of the increasing cases of the COVID-19 Coronavirus.
During a conversation with media about the IPL, Tope said that, “When large numbers of people gather at one place, there is always a potential danger of spreading. Such events can always be organized.”
BCCI President Sourav Ganguly had earlier denied any postponement claims and said that IPL season 13 would run as per schedule and assured that all necessary precautions would be taken.
Ganguly said, “We will all take precautions. I don’t know exactly what these are. It is only the medical team that will tell us about this. The medical team is already in touch with the hospitals.” Stating that the organizers would follow the advice of doctors.
The BCCI will place the additional medical team in the stadium. The source said that the audience will be shown in the stadium. The 13th edition of the IPL will run for eight weeks, starting on March 29 and ending on May 24 with matches played in various venues across the country.